Laparoscopy is a commonly performed
procedure to examine the abdominal or pelvic organs.
Investigations, and some keyhole surgery procedures
can be performed with laparoscopy.
Laparoscopy is performed to investigate
or diagnose a range conditions. It may be used to
• investigate the cause of abdominal pain (e.g. a possible
• investigate the cause of gynaecological pain
• investigate the cause of infertility
• monitor the effects of infertility drugs on the ovaries
Laparoscopy is also used to provide a
view for surgical procedures such as
• removal of the appendix or gallbladder
• removal of an ovarian cyst
• repair of inguinal or femoral hernia
• sterilisation in women